Day trip: Sail with Friheden to Gavnø Castle and enjoy the hike back
Throughout the summer, you can arrive at the renaissance castle Gavnø by water and experience the castle, the large flower park, the castle brewery, the Go Fly climbing park and much more, all at your own pace.
Arriving at Næstved Station, you walk less than a kilometre down to the harbour from where Rundfart Friheden will sail you all the way out to Gavnø Castle. It is a beautiful trip along the Næstved Canal, where you can sit and soak up the tranquillity while enjoying a cup of coffee or tea purchased on the boat or from your own packed lunch. Tickets can be purchased on board, just as the ticket to Gavnø Castle must be purchased on board.
At Gavnø Castle, the possibilities are endless – choose what interests you or take the grand tour. For the adventurous visitor, there are the tree-top courses of Gavnø Go Fly. Those interested in history can find the largest private painting collection in the Nordic countries and fully renovated rooms at the castle, and those who want to be fascinated can experience the endless flowers in the Castle Park that vary with the seasons. For those who would like even more enjoyment, you can get beer from the Castle Brewery or take a picnic basket in the park.
After the visit to Gavnø Castle, you’ll walk the Sjællandsleden trail (8.5 km) back to Næstved. The route follows the canal around and along Appenæs. You follow Ring Road 22 for 500 metres before you return along the scenic canal and past Nolds Havn, a natural harbour with a charming marina atmosphere.
Suggested one-day itinerary
- Arrival at Næstved Station at 10.06
- Departure with Rundfart Friheden* from Næstved Canal at 10.30
- Arrival at Gavnø Castle at 11.00
- Breakfast at Gavnø. Cafe Tulipanen makes a great option.
- Departure from Gavnø Castle during the afternoon, e.g. at 15:00.
- 8.5 km walk to Næstved, arrival at approx. 17.00
- Dinner at one of Næstved’s cafes or Restaurant B-Spis
- Last departure to Copenhagen is at 22.55. If this is too early, you can enjoy an overnight stay at one of the charming local hotels.
*Rundfart Friheden sails daily from 1 June to 12 September, see the full timetable here.
Tickets for the boat trip and Gavnø Castle can be purchased on board.